But. Of course there's a but, did you read the title? A few weeks ago I did a whole bunch of blood tests, and some of those were tests for clotting disorders that run in my family. Anyway, turns out, I tested positive for both factor V leiden and MTHFR, which puts me in the "high risk" category, which also means I need to give myself a shot of lovenox (blood thinner) EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF THIS PREGNANCY. That's like 29 more weeks x 7 days... That's over 200 shots before this baby is born. Greaaaaaaat. And wait, it gets better. I went to get my prescription filled... guess how much it costs? $916... A MONTH. Whaaaaaa???? Apparently my insurance automatically rejects it without special authorization, so I'm in the process of trying to get that and then we'll see how much it's going to cost me.
Now, obviously I made it through an entire pregnancy with no complications, no clots, no nothing last time around. I wasn't aware I even had these clotting disorders. And it was really tempting to say I'll be fine this time around too. It's so much easier to not have to inject myself daily. To not be considered high risk. To not have to find a high-risk OB when we get back to New Zealand. To not have to pay a ridiculous amount of money each month. So much easier. But you know what? Not a risk I'm willing to take. Sure there may only be a small chance of a clot, but as I know all too well, a blood clot is no laughing matter. And if I have to get injections for the next 29 weeks to make sure I'm safe and my baby is safe, and my husband and Riley get to have a wife/mother, then I'll do it in a heartbeat. No question. So let's just hope insurance pulls through and significantly reduces the $900/month price tag on these lovely little injections. Otherwise we have all sorts of other problems coming our way.